Few things are worse than feeling insecure about bathroom spaces when hosting guests. If the ongoing trend of glamorous, spa like bathrooms has you feeling discouraged, these three DIY ideas will breathe new life into your tired bathroom and restore your pride in your home.
1. Get Creative and Repurpose
Rather than replace worn out vanities with standard, hardware store options, get creative. Console tables, makeup vanities, and even vintage dressers can be repurposed and transformed into one of a kind, unique bathroom vanities. Repaint or restain, remove drawer fronts, as needed, install a sink and you will be well on your way. Tops may either be sealed with polyurethane for a more rustic look or a piece of solid surface like marble or granit may be cut to size and added for a clean, finished appearance.
If your prefab cabinet boxes are still in good condition and your budget does not justify replacing them, add detailed moldings or faux paint to upgrade them without replacing.
2. Reorganize and Add DIY Storage Options
Even bathrooms with luxurious, upgraded finishes will look cluttered and unkempt if they lack storage. Bathrooms that utilize available space and apply everyday objects in creative ways to create storage space will garner a special appeal.
- Use a ladder as a towel rack. A wooden ladder, painted in a bold color, doubles as a towel rack and a charming conversation piece.
- Rustic shelving. Create DIY shelving by using rich wood or unique, knotty tree branches between shelves. If your bathroom is more modern or beach themed, consider using white crown molding for elegant and clean shelving options.
- Make use of a side table. Adding a small side table with ornate legs creates stylish storage near your bathtub or shower.
- Repurpose wooden drawers. Repurposed wooden drawers are great for storage. Simply paint, apply fabric or wallpaper and you have a custom storage solution that de-clutters the space.
- Replace an old tub with a walk in shower. If space is limited and you want to add additional square footage without a complete remodel, consider removing old tubs and replacing with modern walk in shower.
3. Freshen Up on a Budget
Don’t let a tight budget get in the way of a stylish bathroom. In a few hours and limited investment, a fresh coat of trendy paint can be the change needed for your bathroom. If counter tops or showers are beginning to look old and dirty, a fresh bead of caulk can do the trick. Custom stenciled wall art can add a custom feel to your bathroom and can be completed within a couple of hours. Installing Utile shower wall panels provides the look and feel of a new shower at a fraction of the cost of a complete bathroom remodel, and it can be done in only one day. When adding little touches to your bathroom, remember to use colors that are complimentary and trendy. Bathrooms that make use of clean lines and colors can easily be transformed into spa-like atmospheres. And don’t be afraid to add a splash of color with a candle, vase or accent rug.
With a little bit of time and effort, the bathroom of your dreams is well within your reach – get planning!